A couple weeks ago I watched an 8-minute presentation called “Did You Know?”. It presents some of the challenges which face education as we consider the impact computer & communication technology is having on our world. I would like to start a dialog among Christian school administrators and teachers concerning the information presented in this video. Watch this 8 minute video. If you want to verify the information I’ve also provided a link to a source list of the facts presented.
After watching the video, consider the following questions. Then post comments here on this blog space.
- What are your initial reactions to what you saw in the presentation?
- How are these changes manifesting themselves in your personal lives? professional lives?
- What do we think it means to prepare students for the 21st century? What skills do students need to survive and thrive in this new era?
- What implications does this have for our current way of doing things?
- Do we need to change? If so, how?
- How do we get from here to there?
- What challenges must we overcome as we move forward?
- What supports will we need as we move forward?
- What kind of training will we need to move forward?
- What kind of commitments will we need to make (with each other, our students, and our community) to move forward?
- What will we do next? What are some concrete actions that we can take in the near future?
- Is it possible for a teacher to be an excellent teacher if he/she does not use technology? [see this key questionfor another way to ask this]
- What is God’s purpose in allowing this type of technology to be developed? Is this simply another one of man’s attempts to “bring down God” (like the Tower of Babel)? Or Does God allow this technology for his ultimate glory? What impact should this have on our teaching of Christian young people?